Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Chinese Medicine...cool stuff.

There is a section of the hospital here that is devoted to chinese medicine. We were fortunate to go and see the department and then have a couple of the doctors and nurses there try some stuff out on us! It was pretty cool to see how everything is done. We tried out the acupuncture and the bok wan (I have no clue how to spell that, but it is cupping...if you have ever heard of that). I had the bok wan on my neck and they told me that I needed to drink more water...apparently they can tell I was dehydrated from it... And I got acupuncture done on my right wrist because I told the doctor that it hurt (it still does from when I sprained it a long time ago...). He said that if it was like a carpel tunnel problem they would go right in the middle of the underside of the wrist. I don't know what I was thinking when I agreed to let him do it on me, because I knew that that area is full of tons of nerves and blood vessels and tendons and such. A very sensitive area. Well I just sat down and he flicked it in and before I knew it, there was shooting pains down all my fingers and even up my arm a bit. Apparently I went from normal color to white to green and everyone was afraid I was going down. But the doctor just kept telling me to keep breathing and he twisted it even further until it was just right (which means that it kills) and said it was good. Well we kept it in for several minutes and then he offered to take it out. Now that was a werid sensation. I felt like I was being pulled up and out of my chair. The rest of the day my hand felt slightly numb and funny and now my wrist feels bruised. I think I just hurt myself. Oh and the bok wan on the neck leaves this perfectly circular bruise of differing colors. Very interesting.

Kind of an unfortunate picture of me, but a fairly accurate depiction of my thoughts about the whole procedure.The wrist...such an awful place to put it.
Bok wan! (or...cupping!) It feels really weird...but afterwards, I actually felt super relaxed and great. And they use this cream that is like Icy-Hot, so that was kinda cool.

The suction gun!

You can't really see it super well, but the skin gets sucked up in these cups and is raised a good inch or so and it turns really red. Then you have a nice little hicky to remember it by.

4 comments:

Stefanie Elyse said...

Wow Megan. That is intense! Sheesh :) Only you could handle that.

Alison Spencer said...

So first you drink the water. Then you let the Chinese experiment on you?! Only two more weeks Megan. Try not to get killed.

Amy Collyer said...

You were made to be a nurse. if someone came up to me and said, "I can make your wrist better by sticking a weird little needle into it" I would scream, possibly throw up, and run away! And the neck thing...a little too much like a hickey for me! ;o)

smalltoes said...

I would have died. You are a brave women. I hope your wrist feels better now.