Monday, May 4, 2009

"New Rule. You are not allowed to drink anything without me present."

These are the words that my friend Megan said to us once she found out what we were drinking. She is the one that speaks Chinese and is our saving grace. We are paralyzed without her with us, especially when ordering food. So last night when she announced that she would not be joining us when going out to get food, we had no idea what to expect. But we ventured out and saw a lot of crazy things. Taiwan has some amazing drinks, my favorite is papaya milk. We found what looked like a drink place, so we stopped and we tried to tell them what we wanted, but they had no clue what we were saying, so we said, give us whatever and pointed to a picture. They presented us with two drinks. So we went ahead and drank them, and they were pretty good! When we got back to our dorms, Megan said "what is that?" When we responded that we didn't know, she told us, "Guys, that is milk tea, don't drink it." Well, I threw it out, but don't worry, I successfully broke the word of wisdom, on a Sunday. Megan reassured us by saying "Its ok, Missionaries break the word of wisdom all the time on accident". It was pretty funny. This is coming only a day after she found out I was drinking the tap water, which apparently is a no no as well. I found out after I had downed several bottle-fulls that the tap water runs along with the sewer and even the locals don't drink it. Great. I haven't gotten sick yet - well besides the nauseous feeling I get when thinking about the sewage water...

4 comments:

marci said...

Meg, that's gross. Sewage water? Seriously? And what a great day to break the word of wisdom. I'm proud of you, finally coming out of your shell ;) be safe, and drink only good things while you're in taiwan

Amy Collyer said...

Hehehe. Your post kinda made me laugh. I hope you drink some other adventurous things before you know they are bad! :)

Cindy Robinson said...

Really you didn't know about the tap water?
OHH Meg. I hope you don't get sick. I think I feel a little ill for you.

Adam said...

Nobody ever told you not to drink the tap water? You guys are all nurses. Experts in all thing health related. I am shocked. When I came to Taiwan that is all the Boeing nurses kept saying. Don't drink the water. Brush your teeth with bottled water and only rinse you tooth brush with bottled water. If you must rinse with tap water don't use it again until it is completely dry. Don't eat any fruit you can't peal yourself. Only eat fully cooked and still hot vegetables. Don't drink anything with ice in it.... They went on and on for what seemed like a half hour. They gave me papers explaining the same thing and they someone else told me the same stuff all over again. In practice the only bit of their (in my opinion) overly cautions advice is we don't drink tap water except when liz was 1 year old it was impossible to keep her from drinking the bath water. I am shocked you did not get the same lecture. Oh well. I eat the street food prepared on dishes cleaned in the street gutters. I ingest tap water when I brush my teeth. I eat raw vegetables and unpeeled apples, guava and any other fruit. I have never gotten sick. I am sure your sewer water will pass. Wow long comment but seriously we have so much to talk about meg. I can't wait till you make it up to Taipei.