Sunday, May 17, 2009

Best Weekend Ever!

Sorry I haven't posted in a long time. There has simply not been enough time. I have now finished up my rotation in the ICU, got to do a day in the ER and now will move onto Community (home health) nursing. I am excited to go into the country and visit patients in their home! Should be a good experience. I am still loving every minute here and we are having a blast!

This weekend we went to a place called Kenting. It was beautiful! The views were amazing and the night market was a blast. (sorry about the sparce picture content. For some reason I didn't use my camera much and hopefully I will get some pictures from other people soon)
We got there not knowing what to expect or where our hotel was. So we talked to some people and decided that we would rather stay at a different hotel than originally planned. Thats something I really like about this group that I am with. We are all very flexible and adventurous. Makes things more fun and exciting. After switching it up with hotels, we made some plans. First on the list was the beach. So we went and found a surf shop where we got some lunch and some surf boards. We went to the beach, which was amazing and Calvin taught all of us to surf! I actually got up on my second attempt and it was so fun! Calvin was a very good teacher and he got all 6 of us up and going! It was incredible. After surfing we went back to town and hit up the night markets. These are so fun with a ton of food and shopping. We all spent some money and got some cool things and ate some great food. This night market was really fun with a ton of things to see.

Saturday we got up bright and early and some people went scuba diving and the rest of us when snorkeling.
It was so funny because these people didn't speak any english and we didn't speak any chinese, and it was hilarious. Once we got things sorta figured out, we piled into the back of a suspicious looking van and headed to the beach! Once we were there, I think the idea was that we all hold on to each other and stay in a group, but we just acted like we didn't understand and went out on our own. It was so cool! The fish were awesome and the reef was actually pretty neat. I was pleasently surprised. Then we went to lunch at this Tex-Mex restaurant, which was amazing. After a while, the chinese food (while still good) gets to you and a nice burrito or hamburger really hits the spot. It was so good. After that we headed home via a crazy taxi driver that luckily knew how to maneuver his way through traffic and some train hopping. We were all exhausted by the time we got home, quite sunburned, but so happy about the weekend.

Today, Sunday, we sang with the choir. In chinese of course. It was probably really wrong and who knows what we actually said. But it was still fun. They recruited us our first week in the ward and today was performance day. So funny. I love the ward that we go to. They are all amazing!


This is a major reason why this was the best weekened ever. This was taken atop a beautiful mountain overlooking the ocean. Breathtaking, right? The elementary school had a sign that said "English teachers wanted. Requirements: Native English Speaker." Um...thats me! Im thinking about moving here for real.

3 comments:

Alison Spencer said...

Ok. Deal. I will move to Kenting with you, teach English and surf all day.

PS--I'm really glad you liked surfing. Doesn't it rock? Let's road trip to California next fall. Ok. Cool.

World of Wife Craft said...

I'm glad you had such a great time. Can I move there to?

Jenna said...

hey...cute snorkeling booties.