Saturday, November 15, 2008

Why I love what I do

I love nursing. I just do. Here is once glimpse into why I love it. Yesterday at clinical I had some down time and my patient was having a rough day, so I sat with her for a while, just talking. She thanked me for helping her and then told me that all nurses should be like me. I almost cried. Here she was, really sick and having a rough day, but thanking me for helping her out just a little bit. It made me sad that she had had nurses that were less than spectacular, when she was the one lying in the hospital, relying on us for everything. Nursing really makes you open your eyes (at least it should) and appreciate all that you have been given. My clinical instructor once said that if you ever felt that your life was bad, go to work. How true that is. I am just so grateful that I have the opportunity to help others, if only for a few hours, and make the low points in their lives, maybe just a little more bearable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a person just gets caught up in life and their job. They just "go through the motions". Beleive me, I know. It's nice to get a wake-up call every now and then, something that makes you think that even though you see this event every day, it's still the first for the other person. Keep that in mind meggy pooh! we can't wait to see you.

Jennifer said...

megan i agree. nursing is the best. if we take the time to let ourselves be nice to people. i love you megan. thanks for your nice comment on my blog!

love you!
Jen

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you and the compassion that you share with everyone in your life. Don't ever lose that! mom

Amie said...

Megan!

I just found your blog from Candice's- I am a stalker, I know! But I just wanted to say that I love you and feel so priveleged to be in the nursing program with you because you are amazing! And congratulations on getting into Taiwan! I hope that it is amazing and I can't wait to hear about it!

love you!
Amie