Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My life as a nurse...

So, I am in the nursing program at BYU and I started during last spring. So far I have learned the basics, gerontology (old people), medical -surgical and OR. Coming up I have labor and delivery, pediatrics, ER, and psychiatrics. So far I have loved it. The group of people that I started the program are amazing and we all get along really well. Here are a few pictures of some things that I have learned to do so far!We are all scrubbed up and ready for surgery! If you can't tell I am the one standing third from the left. Unfortunately, I never got to scrub in for any REAL surgeries, I did get to observe and help the nurse for a few operations this semester.
This is me placing my first IV. Luckily my friend Jeehie was a good sport and I got it on my first try!
These are a few of the girls that I am with, basically 24/7. They are all amazing and we have a great time together, not only in lab and class, but going to movies and parties together too! I think I seriously lucked out by getting in with these girls because we really have hit it off. We help each other not lose our sanity in this crazy program and have a ton of fun along the way.

My favorite part of the program are the clinicals, where I get to go to the hospital and actually am a nurse. It is a little stressful, and 12 hour days get a little long, but I love feeling in control of my own patients and having responsibilities. Don't worry, I always have the nurse making sure I don't do anything questionable, but I am becoming a lot more independent and it gets me excited to graduate and actually do it for real.

4 comments:

Stefanie Elyse said...

Wow Megan, I'm so happy you love it! I can't imagine a better nurse- I would trust you any day! Fun pics too!

Anonymous said...

No mention of the sponge baths you love to give?

Alison Spencer said...

Not gonna lie, I didn't actually read your post BUT... love the pictures. :)

Jennifer said...

i like you and i like your blog
love, jen